Melbourne Airport Information
Melbourne Airports: Serving The Aviation Industry For Long
Melbourne Airport, also known as Tullamarine Airport, is the second busiest air terminal in the Australian Continent. The airport in Melbourne is well-known as the most visited destination in the Asia-Pacific region. One can find the airport laced with different types of facilities to make it a convenient visit for the international passengers. Hence, the airport has been able to bag a number of prestigious awards over the years of its operation. Here is a complete information guide about Melbourne Airport for the first time travelers to the city.
Airport Location and Address
Located in the northwest of the Melbourne city, the airport is at a distance of 25 km from the city centre. From the city centre, one can take the CityLink toll road and follow the signs and directions to reach the airport.
Address: Locked Bag 16, Gladstone Park, Victoria 3043, Australia
Four Important Terminals
The airport Melbourne houses as many as 4 different terminals, each serving a number of airline flights. Terminal 1 is open for domestic flights, whereas, Terminal 2 hosts the international flights. Terminal 3 and 4 are also in the list and serve a number of airline flights. Located in the same complex, the terminals are connected by walkways.
Public Transport Connecting to Airport
* Road: One can visit the airport using Skybus facility or the taxi services that connect the airport to different parts of the city.
Facilities Offered at Airport
* Communication: High-speed internet facilities are offered at the Melbourne Airport.
* Food: One can find a number of restaurants as well as cafes in different corners of the airport.
* Business: There are meeting rooms, boardrooms and a number of airline lounges in the premises of the airport in Melbourne.
* Other Services: One can also take advantage of other useful facilities like wheelchair services, lost-luggage facilities, car park and car hire services, showers, prayer rooms and baby-change rooms
Useful Information for Passengers
* Telephone: +61 (03) 9297 1600
* Fax: +61 (03) 9297 1886
* Traveler’s Information Desk: +61 (03) 9297 1805)
* Lost Property Issue: +61 (03) 8336 4100
* Website: www.melbourneairport.com.au
Information and Help Desks
Melbourne Airport operates two information desks, located in Arrivals and Departures, which are open at all times during flight operation hours. The Travellers Information Service Desk (tel: (0)3 9297 1805) in the International Terminal provides tourist information.
Money and communications
There are several banks offering a limited service at the airport; there are four bureaux de change in the International Terminal and ATMs are located in the area between the check-in counters and SkyPlaza on the Departures level. There is also a post office in the International Terminal. Eating and drinking: A variety of cafés and restaurants are available throughout the airport. Shopping: Airport shopping includes duty-free. Other facilities: Showers are available in Departures.
Wheelchair-accessible toilets, travelators and lifts are provided throughout the terminal. Wheelchairs are available on request; passengers should contact their airline in advance.
Conference and Business Facilities
VIP rooms on the Arrivals level of the International Terminal provide business and conference facilities and equipment which can be booked through the airports main reception. Conference, meeting and boardrooms and a fully serviced business centre are provided by the Hilton Melbourne Airport; the hotel offers direct pedestrian access to the domestic and international terminals (tel: (0)3 8336 2000 for bookings). The Central Melbourne Airport (tel: (0)3 9933 5111) also provides conference rooms and business facilities and is located a short walk from the International Terminal; however, the hotel is closed until April 2002 when it will re-open as the Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport.
Car hire companies include Avis, Budget, Hertz, National and Thrifty; companies have their offices in the domestic terminal areas as well as on the ground floor of the short term carpark.
The airport has both long-term and short-term car parks, located close to the passenger terminals. Short-term parking is located immediately in front of the passenger terminal. The new multi-storey car park offers undercover parking with direct access to the terminal via undercover walkways. For parking information contact Secure Parking Melbourne Airport (tel: (0)3 9297 1377).
From Melbourne city centre, drivers should take the CityLink toll road; this becomes the Tullamarine Freeway which leads to the airport.
Taxi: Taxis are available from the ground floor level of the terminal (journey time into the centre of Melbourne: 30 minutes).
Updated! Bus: Skybus shuttle service: new fleet of buses, which operate every 15 minutes for most of the day, and its only a 20 minute trip to the city. (tel: (0)3 9335 3066) operates 24 hours a day between the airport and the city centre.
Other Airports in Melbourne
Apart from the main Melbourne Airport, there are three other airports located in the city:
* Avalon Airport has been constructed to serve jet aircrafts and is famous for conducting Australian International Airshow. Qantas, Jetstar Airways and Sharp Airlines are the main flight operators at this airport in Melbourne.
* Moorabbin Airport is located in Mentone and serves light aircrafts. It serves King Island Airlines and offers flight training facilities.
* Essendon Airport is near to the main Melbourne Airport and is the oldest one in the city. It serves the airlines like Direct Air, Sharp Airlines and so on and also houses many flying schools.
For further information about Melbourne and different accommodation facilities, you can refer to moveandstay.com. The website provides exclusive information about main cities belonging to the different continents of the world.
As you can see, the city of Melbourne has been blessed with complete aviation solutions in the form of different airports. So, you are never going to miss the excellent services offered at all these airports in Melbourne.